Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
A great fish pie recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup fish stock
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- salt & pepper
- 1 kg white fish fillet, skin removed and cut into 2 cm cubes (snapper best)
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten for glazing
- Preheat oven to 200c. heat oil in a saucepan, add onion, and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes to soften. remove from heat and stir flour in to form a smooth paste. add wine and stir to combine. return to heat and bring to the boil, stirring until sauce thickens. simmer for 5 minutes to reduce wine.
- add fish stock and cream and simmer for a further 10 minutes until liquid is reduced by half and the sauce is smooth. stir in parsley and season well with the salt and pepper. reduce well, as it will thin during the baking.
- divide half the sauce between 2 x two cup capacity pie dishes. divide the fish between dishes and cover with the remaining sauce.
- cut pie lids from pastry allowing for overhang when placed over top of each dish. brush edge of each dish with beaten egg, then top with pastry lids. press edges with a fork to allow steam to escape during cooking. glaze lids with beaten egg, then bake for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.