This is a recipe that has been in my family for years and years. These cookies are cake-like, light, fluffy and moist with zing from using sour milk. If you're looking for a classic chocolate chip cookie recipe, I must enunciate (due to two reviewers' comments) that these cookies ARE NOTHING LIKE A CLASSIC CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE. They are not expected to be crisp or chewy, and the flavor is much lighter. I think this is due to reduced fat content (using 1/2 cup shortening rather than the amount of butter in a classic chocolate chip cookie). I use mini chocolate chips, since regular chocolate chips tend to be too heavy for this cookie batter (but feel free to use your preference). Also, I use homogenized/pasteurized whole milk, but my grandmother always used real sour milk when we lived on the dairy farm. She didn't need to spoil the milk using vinegar. I think the type of milk makes all the diffference. These cookies are great, but they don't quite taste the same as when Grandma made them using more conventional/natural methods.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, cream together sugar, eggs and shortening.
- 3To make sour milk, add 1 teaspoons white vinegar to the measuring cup before adding milk. Allow vinegar and milk to sit for 3 minutes. Then add milk to mixing bowl along with baking soda, vanilla and salt.
- 4Stir in flour one cup at a time.
- 5Fold in nuts (optional) and chocolate chips.
- 6Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- 7Bake for 10-15 minutes or until tops of cookies are no longer shiny, and bottoms are lightly browned.
- 8Cool on a wire rack.
- 9Store in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Drop Cookies (Sour Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies)
Serving Size: 1 (1805 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 242.1
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 36.2 mg
- Sodium 166.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 22.4 g
- Protein 3.9 g