Recipe by personalchef
This is my own sauce, though I'm sure it is similar to many others. I usually use this with fettuccini, but it is excellent with black/squid ink pasta.
Top Review by Chauqg
Have made white clam sauce all my life - the standard white clam sauce. Was looking for something to use with black squid pasta tha our daughter brought home from Italy. This was a perfect match. The sauce is excellent prompting my family to save this recipe for other days, no doubt soon. I increased the garlic and did not remove it, just softly cooked it for a few minutes not the entire time. Garlic lovers will enjoy the great flavor of clam and garlic accented with soft garlic and perfect clams pieces. Served with Locantelli Romano cheese & fresh ground black pepper.... Thank you for your recipe. It is excellent!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10 ounce) canwhole clams
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed (lay garlic clove on board and smash, remove skin, do not chop)
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped (see note) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in heavy skillet over med/low heat.
- Add whole clams with juice, and garlic. Cook over low heat until clams are heated through and edges begin to curl.
- Remove clams. Add the bottle of clam juice, white wine and heavy cream. Cook about 10 min to reduce slightly. This sauce will be thin. You want a bit of broth in your dish.
- Remove garlic cloves
- Add clams back into sauce and toss with your preferred pasta. I usually use fettuccini
- Note: I often like to add a chopped tomato to this sauce. You would add the tomato after the 10 min cooking time, just to warm the chopped tomato.