Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my own sauce, though I'm sure it is similar to many others. I usually use this with fettuccini, but it is excellent with black/squid ink pasta.
- Melt butter in heavy skillet over med/low heat.
- Add whole clams with juice, and garlic. Cook over low heat until clams are heated through and edges begin to curl.
- Remove clams. Add the bottle of clam juice, white wine and heavy cream. Cook about 10 min to reduce slightly. This sauce will be thin. You want a bit of broth in your dish.
- Remove garlic cloves
- Add clams back into sauce and toss with your preferred pasta. I usually use fettuccini
- Note: I often like to add a chopped tomato to this sauce. You would add the tomato after the 10 min cooking time, just to warm the chopped tomato.
Have made white clam sauce all my life - the standard white clam sauce. Was looking for something to use with black squid pasta tha our daughter brought home from Italy. This was a perfect match. The sauce is excellent prompting my family to save this recipe for other days, no doubt soon. I increased the garlic and did not remove it, just softly cooked it for a few minutes not the entire time. Garlic lovers will enjoy the great flavor of clam and garlic accented with soft garlic and perfect clams pieces. Served with Locantelli Romano cheese & fresh ground black pepper.... Thank you for your recipe. It is excellent!
We really enjoyed this tonight! I have tried several white clam sauce recipes and they are all good. This is the first one I've tired that used cream in the sauce and it was a really nice addition. Only thing I did different was to use 2 cans of whole baby clams instead of one, so I decreased the amount of clam juice to 4 oz. We like our linguini "clammy" LOL. While I love garlic I did enjoy the more subtle flavor here, it was there but didn't overpower. You should really have some nice crusty Italian bread to eat with this, oh and a little fresh parmesan sprinkled on top! Made for PAC Spring 2008.