Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
American Pie, Peter Reinhart. Use fresh shucked clams such as manila, cherrystone, or littlenecks OR canned whole baby clams, drained. Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana in New Haven is credited with inventing this pizza.
Top Review by Maito
Sensational! Reminds me of my DH's Recipe #247999, except on pizza. We only used 1 tablespoon of the oil for our tastes, and subbed some fresh oregano into the mix. We also couldn't imagine this without fresh garlic, so sauteed a few cloves and added them too, as well as saved the parmesan for topping at the end with the parsley, so it would maintain its maximum "punch" (which it did). This pizza combination is really out of this world!
- 1⁄4 cup herb oil (Herb Oil)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 5 ounces clams
- 1 (10 ounce) neo-neapolitan pizza dough (Neo-Neapolitan Pizza Dough)
- flour, for dusting the peel
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (full fat)
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese or 1⁄2 cup pecorino romano cheese or 1⁄2 cup asiago cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a baking stone on the middle shelf of the oven and preheat on the highest setting for at least 1 hour.
- While oven is preheating, in a bowl, combine the Herb Oil and lemon juice; stir in the clam meat to coat; cover and marinated in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Shape the dough ball to a diameter of about 12 inches; the dough should be very thin, about 1/8 inch thick, nearly translucent and slightly thicker toward the edge.
- Transfer the dough to a pizza peel that has been dusted with flour.
- In another bowl, stir the 2 cheeses together; distribute the cheeses over the dough; spread the clam and oil mixture evenly over the cheese.
- Sprinkle the surface evenly with salt and pepper.
- Carefully slide pizza from the peel onto the baking stone; bake about 10-12 minutes.
- When done, the crust should be crisp and slightly charred on the edge and the cheese should be fully melted and just beginning to caramelize to a rich gold.
- The underside of the crust should be brown and crisp, not white and soft.
- Remove the finished pizza from the oven and immediately sprinkle the parsley over the top.
- Let pizza cool for about 3 minutes before slicing and serving.
- *You can make other seafood pizzas in the same way—use raw squid, shirmp, bay scallops (whole) or sea scallops (cut in half), or any combination.