Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Found this recipe in a Christmas book of the same name by Wanda Brunstetter. The book was sweet story about a young Amish couple and the pie sounds wonderful. Sure haven't tried it yet but want to for Christmas so am putting it here to save. Finally made this (for Spring and not Christmas) and it was very good. It is sweet and I used sweetened flaked coconut so next time may use unsweetened. But very light, fresh and pretty - a lovely desert to impress with. I'm wondering how it would be with a meringue topping!
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup water, cold
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, whipped until stiff
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 2 (9 inch) pie crusts, baked
- In small bowl, soak gelatin in cold water; set aside.
- In saucepan, mix 1/2 cup sugar, flour, salt and milk.
- Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture comes to a boil.
- Boil for 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Stir in softened gelatin.
- When partially set, beat until smooth.
- Blend in vanilla, almond extract and whipped cream.
- In separate bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar and beat until soft peaks from.
- Fold into gelatin mixture; then fold in flaked coconut.
- Divid into baked pie shells.
- If desired, sprinkle with additional flaked coconut.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
I originally got this recipe from my mom. Nice to see it here. <br/>I use a different method for mixing....Whisk dry ingredients (including gelatin), then whisk in milk. MICROWAVE for about 5 minutes total, stirring every minute or so until it comes to a boil. Then continue the recipe as instructed. <br/>SERVE with raspberry sauce (I use Danish Dessert and frozen raspberries. YUM!