1/1 Photo of White Chocolate Wedding Cake
I made this cake for my wedding and received so many compliments. It was quite simple to make -- I made one cake two days before the wedding, two the day before and I iced it on my wedding morning! No one could believe I had done it myself, it looked and tasted so good. I actually made 4 cakes and the same quantity of icing worked. As I made the cakes at separate times, I only used one cake tin. We had 100 guests and there was still cake left over, although we had a dessert as well. I used Cointreu (orange liqueur) instead of Grand Marnier. Ingredients for cake are for one cake, so will need to be multiplied by how many cakes you are going to make. The frosting is for three cakes (or more even).
My Private Note
small p ...
Units: US | Metric
- butter, for greasing
- 200 g white chocolate, chopped
- 250 g butter, chopped
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 orange, zest finely grated
- 1 3/4 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup self raising flour
- 1/3 cup Grand Marnier
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- frosting (enough to cover three stacked cakes)
- 400 g white chocolate, chopped
- 500 g cream cheese, chopped
- 2 cups powdered sugar icing
- 600 ml thickened cream
- 1Grease and line the base and sides of 3 deep, round, 20cm cake tins with baking paper.
- 2Preheat oven to 160°C.
- 3Combine the chocolate, butter, sugar and milk in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until melted.
- 4Transfer the melted chocolate mixture in a large bowl and let cool slightly.
- 5Use a whisk to stir the orange zest, sifted flours, Grand Marnier and eggs into the chocolate mixture until you get a smooth batter.
- 6Pour batter into one of the tins and bake for 1 hour and 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- 7Cover the cake with foil halfway through baking to prevent over browning.
- 8Allow cake to cool in tin.
- 9Repeat the above steps for two more cakes (if cooking two at once you may need to extend the cooking time).
- 10To make the frosting: Melt the chocolate in a heat proof bowl over simmering water.
- 11Leave to cool.
- 12Place half the cream cheese and icing sugar in the small bowl of an electric mixer and beat until just smooth.
- 13Add the remaining cheese and sugar and beat again until smooth.
- 14Pour in the melted chocolate and beat until combined.
- 15Whip the cream until soft peaks form and fold it through cream cheese mixture.
- 16Cover the mixture and refrigerate for 1-2 hours until firm enough to spread.
- 17After refrigeration you may need to stir the mixture until smooth before spreading.
- 18To form wedding cake: Stack the cakes on a serving board or plate, sandwiching them together with about ¼ cup of the frosting each.
- 19Make sure the last cake is inverted so the base of the cake is on top for a completely flat surface.
- 20Secure the layers in place by inserting 3 skewers vertically through the cakes.
- 21Cut skewers down to size so they can be frosted over.
- 22Cover stacked cakes with remaining frosting.
- 23To serve: Carefully separate it back into 3 cakes removing the skewers.
- 24***This cake can be iced the day before, or on the day, and refrigerated.
- 25It can be made up to 3 months in advance and frozen. Ice on the day.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Chocolate Wedding Cake
Serving Size: 1 (83 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 325.5
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 67.8 mg
- Sodium 108.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 21.3 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
powdered sugar icing