Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Oh My MY! This is such a pretty cake, especially once it's cut! It's also yummy on the taste buds and fit for Santa himself when fully decorated! NOTE* This cake will bake in less time that the package says. Keep a close eye on it.
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 8 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 1 (510 g) package white cake mix (2-layer-size)
- 3 egg whites (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cut up and softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- sugared rosemary (optional)
- sugared cranberries (optional)
- crushed purchased chocolate-cranberry biscotti
- For frosting, in a medium saucepan combine whipping cream and chocolate.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, over low heat until chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl; cover and refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, grease and flour two 9x1-1/2-inch or 8x1-1/2-inch round cake pans; set aside.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions using egg whites only.
- Spoon about 1-1/2 cups of batter into each cake pan.
- Sift cocoa over batter remaining in bowl; stir until blended.
- Spoon on cake mix in pans; swirl gently to marble and to spread batter evenly.
- Bake according to package directions except check cakes several minutes before minimum time indicated on package.*
- Let cakes cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove cakes from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
- Add cream cheese to chilled white chocolate mixture; beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until sugar is completely combined. (Mixture should hold soft peaks; do not overbeat.)
- Use immediately.
- Place one cake layer on a serving platter.
- Frost with about 3/4 cup frosting.
- Top with second cake layer.
- Frost top and sides of cake.
- Serve immediately or cover and chill until serving time (up to 4 hours).
- To serve, garnish cake with Sugared Rosemary and Cranberries and crushed biscotti, if desired.
- *Sugared Rosemary and Cranberries:.
- Lightly spray several rosemary sprigs and cranberries with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle granulated sugar on rosemary; roll cranberries in a small amount of granulated sugar to coat.
- Place on waxed paper for at least 1 hour before using.
- This is a decorative, not edible, garnish.
- *NOTE: The added cocoa makes the cakes bake in a shorter time.