Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a Bobby Flay recipe, and as usual, have altered it a bit to suit personal preferences. Instead of cherry sauce we make it raspberry, or possibly apricot.
- 4 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 2⁄3 cup long-grain rice (such as Carolina rice) or 2⁄3 cup arborio rice (my preference)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla beans (pod, seeds only) or 1 tablespoon good vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks (room temperature)
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 4 ounces good-quality white chocolate, chopped (recommended Lindt or Valrhona)
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground cinnamon
warm cherry sauce
- whipped cream (to garnish, the real stuff) (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted, for garnish
- RICE PUDDING:.
- Combine milk, arborio rice, sugar, vanilla & salt, in a heavy, large saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat until mixture thickens and rice is tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Whisk egg yolks and cream together in a small bowl.
- Gradually whisk 1/2 cup rice mixtures into egg mixture(to temper); return mixture to the saucepan and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly; DO NOT LET BOIL.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add white chocolate and stir until melted.
- Stir in the orange zest(if using) and cinnamon.
- Transfer pudding to a large bowl, cover, and chill until cold. (Cover with plastic wrap touching the pudding, so skin doesn't form).
- WARM CHERRY SAUCE:.
- Bring preserves and cinnamon to a simmer in a medium saucepan over low heat, add the kirsch(or other liqeuer, if using other fruit preserves).
- Carefully ignite with a long match or just warm through(I think the latter is safer, at home).
- ASSEMBLING THE PUDDING:.
- Serve pudding in bowls or large goblets with Warm Cherry Sauce, whipped cream, and toasted almonds on top, or layer in parfait glasses.
- Either way it will look lovely and taste even better.
My husband has made this recipe several times - always to rave reviews. The only change he has made is to increase the amount of milk (we like a runnier pudding). If you are looking for a decadent recipe, this is it.