Recipe by s'kat
White chocolate provides a smooth and velvety texture to this cool and festive looking pie. from Icebox Pies cookbook.
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 10 1⁄2 ounces good quality white chocolate
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 1 prepared crumb pie crust (use storebought or see posted recipe for Graham Cracker Crust or Vanilla Wafer-Almond Pie Crust)
- 1 pint fresh raspberries and blueberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cold water in a small stainless steel bowl and sprinkle gelatin on top.
- Let gelatin stand to dissolve.
- Put 2 inches of water in medium saucepan and bring pot to bare simmer.
- Combine chocolate and 1/2 cup of heavy cream in stainless steel bowl big enough to rest on top of saucepan.
- Place bowl over simmering water, making sure the bottom of bowl doesn't touch water.
- Heat, whisking occasionally, until the chocolate is completely melted and mixture is smooth.
- Whisk gelatin mixture, lemon juice and zest into bowl of melted chocolate.
- Set bowl over a larger bowl of ice cubes and let it stand, whisking occasionally, until mixture begins to thicken, about 10 minutes.
- In medium-sized bowl, using electric mixer, whip remaining 1 cup of heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold whipped cream into chocolate mixture.
- Scrape filling into prepared pie shell.
- Cover pie with plastic wrap and refrigerate until filling is completely set: about 6 hours, or up to 1 day in advance.
- Just before serving, arrange raspberries and blueberries on top of pie.