Recipe by Dragonfly AZ
This cake starts with a cake mix, but by the time you're through adding the white chocolate, the ricotta cheese, and the orange juice, no one could ever tell. This cake works best with a plain cake mix--one with no pudding in it. From Ann Byrn, the cake mix doctor.
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 6 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 (18 ounce) package white cake mix
- 2⁄3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 -2 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan.
- in a glass measuring cup, microwave the white chocolate on high for 1 minute, then stir until smooth. Let cool slightly.
- Place remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl, then add chocolate.
- Mix at low speed for 1 minute, scraping sides down frequently.
- Increase mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping sides down as needed.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 38-42 minutes, or until tests done.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes, then run a long sharp knife around edge of cake. Invert the cake onto a wire rack, then invert again so it is right side up.
- Let cool for about 20 minutes more.
- While cake is still warm, make a thin glaze with orange juice and powdered sugar. Drizzle over cake and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.