Recipe by Dragonfly AZ
Yummy cake that starts with a cake mix, but sure doesn't taste like It!
Top Review by KK
This is a Cake Doctor recipe that I've made at least 20 times and is loved by everyone. I use 2 more tablespoons of butter than the recipe calls for in the brown sugar topping. This is a fantastic pineapple upside-down cake and is nice for a crowd because it make a bigger cake than some recipes (a 13" x 9"). You can also used drained pineapple slices instead of the crushed for a prettier presentation.
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 (6 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained
- 6 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) packageplain white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lighly grease a 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Melt 6 Tbs butter and stir in brown sugar. Spread mixture on bottom of prepared pan.
- Drain pineapple as much as you can, reserving the liquid. Pour drained pineapple over sugar mixture.
- Pat cherries dry and arrange over pineapple.
- Cut the remaining 6 Tbs butter into pieces. Place butter and chopped white chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir until mixture is smooth.
- Place the cake mix, 1 cup of the pineapple juice, eggs, vanilla, and melted butter mix into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix at low speed for 1 minute, scraping sides frequently.
- Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes longer until batter is well combined and thick.
- Pour batter over the pineapples and chrries, smoothing wiht rubber spatula.
- Bake cake until it springs back when lighly pressed, 43-48 minutes/.
- Remove pan from oven andplace o wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Run knife around edge of cake and invert onto serving platter so that the cherries and pineapples are on top.
- Slice and serve warm.
- Store at room temp up to 3 days.