Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This came from Good Morning America's feature on the "Cake Doctor". It was paired with some Red Velvet Cuppies, but I have a sensitivity to red food coloring. So, I posted the cuppies with a note about the food dye. I can eat it in small quantities, but otherwise....noooo thanks! I cannot wait for the holidays to get here so I can bake to the "sounds of the season" and give this stuff to some of my favorite people!
- 6 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Place the white chocolate in a small glass bowl in the microwave oven on high power for one minute. Remove the bowl from the oven and stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until it is smooth. Set the chocolate aside to cool.
- Place the cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until well combined, 30 seconds. Stop the machine. Add the melted white chocolate and blend on low speed until just combined, 30 seconds.
- Add the peppermint extract and two cups of the confectioners' sugar and blend on low until the sugar is incorporated, 30 seconds more. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until the frosting is fluffy, one minute more, adding up to ½ cup more sugar if needed to make a spreadable consistency.
- Feel free to fold in up to ½ cup crushed peppermint candy for a crunchy and creamy frosting!
- Will frost 24 cupcakes generously. (see Cake Doctor's Red-less Velvet Cupcakes).
Doubled recipe as I was filling and topping a three tiered chocolate cake. Tasted fantastic but found the white chocolate set slightly on mixing it in so frosting was slightly lumpy. It doesn't really matter as the chocolate flecks melt immediately on hitting the tongue so I just said it was textured frosting. Would definitely make again.