Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 7 ounces good-quality white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sliced unblanched almonds
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make the dough: add white chocolate to the bowl of a food processor; pulse until it is in small pieces.
- Add in the almonds; process for a few seconds more, until the chocolate is finely chopped and the almonds are broken up; set aside.
- In a bowl, gently whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy.
- Gradually add the sugars and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs in one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Beat in the lemon zest and vanilla extract.
- At low speed, add the white chocolate-almond mixture and mix just for a few seconds.
- Add the flour mixture in three batches, mixing just until combined.
- Scrape the dough out onto a large piece of plastic wrap and shape it into a rough dish (the dough will be quite sticky).
- Wrap the dough in the plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 ½ hours or until firm enough to shape.
- Divide the dough in half; on a floured work surface, shape each piece into a 12-inch log about 1 ¼ inches in diameter.
- Wrap each log in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours until firm.
- Slice and Bake: position oven rack in the center of oven; preheat oven to 350°; line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Unwrap one of the logs; slice the log into 3/16 inch thick rounds, slicing only enough cookies to fit on one of the prepared baking sheets, and arrange them 1 inch apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes, until the edges just start to turn lightly golden.
- Transfer the cookies to wire cooling racks and cool completely; repeat with remaining dough.