Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Cake Central. -- their notes:"I have used this recipe for a lot of cakes. It is great for wedding cakes. Takes paste colors pretty well too."
- Melt chocolate in top of double boiler.
- Stir flour into chocolate.
- Add milk a little at a time and blend well.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until very thick.
- It should have the texture and consistency of thick pudding.
- Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, butter and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add cooled chocolate mixture and beat until icing is the consistency of whipped cream.
As others mentioned, the granulated sugar leads to a very grainy texture. Using powdered sugar yielded a better consistency.
Use caster sugar, regular sugar makes the icing grainy.
this is AMAZING!! for a perfect buttercream-like icing that made all my guests think that the cake was store-bought, use icing (or powdered) sugar, and be patient: add the milk in little by little, use a whisk to combine it into the choc/flour mix, and don't go anywhere- just keep watching and stirring!