Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I was looking for a white chocolate fondant for my wedding cake and found this Candy Clay recipe which works great for a fondant http://www.baking911.com/recipes/cakes/candyclay.htm. I've used this on numerous cakes and have perfected the use as a fondant. Every person that's tried it said that it's the best fondant they've ever eaten. You can substitute dark chocolate for the white chocolate, and it tastes exactly like tootsie rolls. I used this for molding a monkey topper for a wedding cake. This recipe is so quick, easy, and tasty, there's no reason not to try it! Once you do, you'll never try another fondant again!
- Melt white chocolate in a double boiler.
- Transfer white chocolate to a bowl and stir in syrup.
- It will look like the syrup is separating from the mix, but cover it with saran wrap and let sit 24 hours.
- After 24 hrs, it will be hard, but knead until smooth. You can put it briefly in the microwave to make it easier to get out of the bowl. Sometimes lumps have formed, but if you keep kneading you can get these out. Knead a small portion at a time if it's more manageable. If it gets too soft, refrigerate briefly. Do not over work mixture as it becomes oily.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out to approximately 1/8 inch thickness onto a Roll & Cut Mat (or nonstick paper like wax paper) using powdered sugar or cornstarch to prevent sticking.
- To Tint: Add Wilton gel color to fondant and knead in color until well blended.
- To Store: Wrap with saran wrap and place in a sealed bag or container and store in the refrigerator or at room temperature until ready for use.
- Note: Preparation time does not include the 24 hour hold.
FYI this is not rolled fondant this is what we in the pastry world call the play dough of pastry chefs. This is actually the recipe for modeling chocolate. Nevertheless, it can be use as fondant. Most commercial fondants have that plastic taste that many people hate. But there are amazing tasty fondant specially the Swiss one. One delicious fondant is the one made with marshmallow. Most Fondants are very sweet since the #1 ingredient is sugar. In my Facebook page I have several tutorials on how to make both white and with dark modeling chocolate plus a project associated with it. Your recipe is right on!
This is really good, but I was also wondering if you are able to make double the recipe at the same time. I just have bigger cakes to cover and didn't know if making it at the same time would mess it up.(: thanks
I hate fondant. HATE it. It looks great, it tastes awful and always too sweet. But my GOD this is the best tasting fondant I have ever used!!! I just eating it! My problem is I didn't make enough to cover my cake, so if you have anything bigger than a double layer 8", increase the recipe. Other than that AWESOME!