Recipe by Derf
A very special delicious dessert for chocolate lovers. Garnish with a sprig of mint.
Top Review by ellie_
Absolutely delicious! I made some slight changes by using mostly half & half instead of whipping cream and also I used about 5 ounces white chocolate and some semi sweet chocolcate chips for the other chocolate. I think I spread the dark chocolate on a bit thick, as it was very hard when it was in the fridge - I left in the the refrig for about 2 hours rather than the 15 minutes specified and I skipped the white chocolate drizzled over the top all together. Delicious though and this is very definitely a keeper to make again very soon!
- 2 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 5 white chocolate baking squares, chopped
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 bittersweet chocolate pieces or 3 semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 white chocolate baking square, melted (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse heavy saucepan with cold water and shake out excess moisture.
- Set pan over medium low heat and stir in cream and sugar.
- Heat until bubbles form around edge.
- Add chopped white chocolate, stirring until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolks with vanilla.
- Whisk in cream mixture.
- Pour into eight 1/2 half cup ramekins or custard cups.
- Place ramekins in baking pan, pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up sides of dishes.
- Bake in 300 degree oven for 35 minutes or until set around edges but still soft in centre.
- Remove ramekins, refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until chilled.
- Place bittersweet chocolate in microwavable bowl, microwave on medium for about 1 minute, stir until melted and smooth.
- Spoon onto top of custards, spread to edges using back of spoon.
- Refrigerate until chocolate is firm, about 15 minutes.
- If desired, drizzle tops with melted white chocolate.