I learned to make this from a wonderful Welsh woman who was an incredible cook. She taught me many things - this was one of my favorite desserts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons clarified butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1/3 cups fine sugar
- 8 large eggs
- 2 (1 lb) cans dark sweet cherries, in their juice (not in syrup!)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup ruby port
- 1 slice lemon (1/4" thick)
WHITE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
- 1Make the cake: Oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Line the bottom of (2) 9" round pans with parchment.
- 3Combine the clarified butter and vanilla in a small bowl.
- 4Set aside somewhere warm (you want the butter to stay melted).
- 5Combine the flour with 6 tbl.
- 6of the sugar and sift TWICE.
- 7Set aside.
- 8In the mixer, combine the eggs and rest of the sugar.
- 9Place the mixing bowl in a large pan of hot (not boiling, very hot tap water is good) water, and mix with your hand (kids love this part) until the eggs are warm (body temp).
- 10Return the bowl to the mixer and whip on high speed until cool, light and at the ribbon stage (when you lift the beaters, ribbons of batter fall back into the bowl and don't disappear very quickly).
- 11Now, everyone says to use a rubber spatula, but I find it much easier to use my hand to do this next part.
- 12Sprinkle about 1/3 of the flour onto the eggs and quickly and gently fold into the batter.
- 13Fold in half the remaining, then the rest.
- 14Take about a handful of the batter and mix into the small bowl of butter and vanilla until well combined.
- 15Gently fold that back into the batter.
- 16Divide between the pans and bake about 25 to 30 minutes- the cakes should BEGIN to shrink away from the side of the pans.
- 17Remove from oven, let cool about 10 minutes in the pan then turn out onto a flat surface and let cool completely before peeling off the parchment.
- 18Set aside.
- 19Make the cherry filling: (Since it's not cherry season, I'm giving you my version using canned cherries.) Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and cook over low heat until the liquid becomes heavy and syrupy.
- 20Take of heat and let stand until cool.
- 21Make the mousse: Melt the chocolate and water in the microwave at 30% power for 2 minutes.
- 22Stir until smooth.
- 23Let cool.
- 24Whip the cream until soft peaks form, not too stiff.
- 25Set aside.
- 26Wipe your mixing bowl out with a dash of vinegar.
- 27Add the whites and whip until stiff, but not dry.
- 28Fold one fourth of the whites into the white chocolate.
- 29Scrape the remaining whites and whipped cream on top of the chocolate and fold together.
- 30Chill until needed.
- 31TO ASSEMBLE THE TRIFLE: Slice each cake in half.
- 32Discard one layer.
- 33Put about 1 cup of the mousse in the bottom of your serving dish (preferably a see-through trifle dish or bowl so you can see all the pretty layers).
- 34Place one slice of cake on top and press down lightly so it lays even in the dish.
- 35Ladle some of the cherry syrup onto the cake so it soaks in.
- 36Put about 1 1/2- 2 c.
- 37mousse on top and top with half the cherries.
- 38Place another cake layer on top, and repeat.
- 39place the last layer of cake on top and using a cake circle press down evenly so all the layers are even and look pretty through the sides of the bowl.
- 40Sprinkle the remaining cherry syrup over top of the cake layer and top with remaining mousse.
- 41Decorate with shaved white and dark chocolate.
- 42Refrigerate until service.
- 43**NOTE:If you have some home canned cherries, use them, they will be so much better.
- 44If you have access to fresh cherries at any time simply use 1 lb.
- 45of them, and poach them in red wine or port, sugar and the lemon slice.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Chocolate Cherry Trifle
Serving Size: 1 (237 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 651.1
- Calories from Fat 293
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.8 g
- Cholesterol 240.0 mg
- Sodium 112.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 54.5 g
- Protein 11.3 g