1/6 Photos of White-Chocolate Cherry Shortbread
Pretty, pretty. These cookies are ideal for Christmas or Valenitnes Day. Edible glitter is just too much fun to play with, try it if you can get it! Be sure to use shortening that is "not" butter flavored as it will turn the color from snow white to yellowed. I cannot get the Zaar computer to print "white sugar nonpareils", you only want white ones here.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherry, drained and finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 12 ounces white chocolate baking squares, with cocoa butter, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- white multicolored sugar nonpareils (and or red edible glitter)
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spread cherries on paper towels to drain well.
- 2In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in drained cherries and 4 ounces (2/3 cup) of the chopped chocolate. Stir in almond extract and, if desired, food coloring. Knead mixture until it forms a smooth ball.
- 3Shape dough into 3/4-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Using the bottom of a drinking glass dipped in sugar, flatten balls to 1-1/2-inch rounds.
- 4Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until centers are set. Cool for 1 minute on cookie sheet. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
- 5In a small saucepan, combine remaining 8 ounces white chocolate and the shortening. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. Dip half of each cookie into chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. If desired, roll dipped edge in nonpareils and/or edible glitter. Place cookies on waxed paper until chocolate is set. Makes about 60.
- 6To Store: Layer cookies between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White-Chocolate Cherry Shortbread
Serving Size: 1 (16 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 60
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 84.4
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 8.9 mg
- Sodium 27.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: