Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Four Mile Creek Bed & Breakfast. Prep time includes chilling.
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1⁄2 cups oats
- 1 cup dried cherries, roughly chopped
- 10 ounces unsalted butter, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sanding sugar
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all dry ingredients, except sanding sugar, with the cherries (or other dried fruit) in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Add butter, and mix on medium-low speed until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add white chocolate chips. Add buttermilk and mix until just combined.
- Turn out the mixtures onto a clean work surface. With hands, pat mixture into two 16" x 4" rectangles that are 1/2 inches high. Score rectangle into 16 triangles.
- Cover with plastic wrap and transfer to the freezer for at least 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Remove dough from the freezer and cut into triangles with a sharp knife.
- Place scones two inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush scones with heavy cream and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake until lightly golden, about 15 minutes.
- Freezing the dough at least two hours keeps scones from spreading too much. Frozen dough will keep for up to 3 weeks.
I can't believe no one has ever reviewed this recipe!! I've been making it for YEARS and these are my favorite scones ever. Thanks for a great recipe.