Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 5 mins
Entered for safe-keeping as a New Years Day Brunch recipe in Woman's World 12/31/07. Sweetened dried cranberries may be substituted for the dried cherries if you wish.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 21 ounces canned cherry pie filling, drained
- 10 ounces challah or 10 ounces other firm bread, cut into 1-inch cubes, 6 cups
- 5 ounces dried cherries or 5 ounces dried sweetened cranberries, 1 cup
- 1⁄2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Coat 6-cup baking dish with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, whisk eggs with half and half, 1/2 cup sugar and almond extract until blended.
- Stir in pie filling, bread, dried cherries (or cranberries) and chocolate chips.
- Transfer to prepared 6-cup baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes to 12 hours. If refrigerated more than 30 minutes, let stand at room temperature 20 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cover baking dish; bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover; sprinkle with sliced almonds. Bake uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until set and golden.
- Let stand 20 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.