Recipe by AnnNH
*Use a good quality imported white chocolate like Lindt white bar, Bakers or Merkens white This cake has received rave reviews by many expert cake decorators. (Note: remember, this is the recipe that is supposed to make two 6" layers, but they overflow the pans, so I use it to make two 8" cakes and the layers are about 1 1/2" high)
Top Review by Schooter
I love this recipe! I used it for a 3-tier wedding cake with a strawberry filling and white chocolate fondant. I had tons of raves over this. It's somewhat dense and rich but very tasty.
- 8 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped (see step 3)
- 2 cups unsifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup whole milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°-- I bake at 300° for 20 minutes then increase oven temp to 325° or you could use bake even strips.
- Prepare pans with cooking spray and parchment.
- Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler, stirring frequently-- remove from heat before chocolate is completely melted; stir until chocolate is melted and smooth-- cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and set aside.
- Place the butter in the bowl of your mixer, and with the flat paddle, cream butter.
- Add the sugar gradually and continue to beat until light and fluffy, about 1 to 2 minutes-- scrape down the bowl once or twice and beat in the vanilla.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Scrape in the melted chocolate and beat until the batter is smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk in 3 separate batches.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake about 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick tests clean or cake just begins to pull away from the sides of the pan-- do not overbake.