Recipe by sweetcakes
This recipe comes from an old recipe book titled "Ma's Cookin' Mountain Recipies" I made this with a cooked pecan frosting, but I think Chocolate would be great for this. This turned out to be a nice moist cake.
- 4 ounces white chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 4 oz white chocolate in 1/2 cup hot water. Cool.
- Cream butter, sugar.
- Mix in 4 egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add white chocolate mixture and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Sift flour, soda, salt; add alternately with butermilk, starting and ending with flour. Do not overbeat.
- Fold in 4 stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Gently stir in pecans and coconut.
- Pour in 3 greased and floured 8 or 9 inch pans.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes in 350 degree oven.
- Frost cooled cake with favorite frosting.