Recipe by ruth_weeks2003
Bread Pudding recipe came from Mr. Lester's Steakhouse, Cypress Bayou Casino in Charenton, Louisiana. This is a wonderful Bread Pudding that all of South Louisiana (Cajun country) loves.
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 1 lb white chocolate, chopped
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup white rum
- 3 -4 loaves day-old French bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring heavy cream to a boil in a saucepan; stir in white chocolate until smooth.
- Mix remaining ingredients together, except bread, and stir into cream mixture until fully incorporated.
- Grind up or slice bread thin; soak bread in the custard for a couple of hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a large baking pan and fill the pan with the bread pudding.
- Bake about 40 minutes, until the bread pudding is firm to the touch and golden brown on top.
- After pudding cools, crumble some by hand into a bowl (about 6 cups).
- Make a basic meringue with two egg whites and one-half cup of sugar. Whip the meringue to stiff peaks, and fold in to crumbled bread pudding.
- Fill four (16 oz) souffle' dishes full.
- Bake at 350°F for about 40 minutes.