Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Recipe located via web search after hearing about this yummy dessert!
- 6 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 20 ounces white chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 4 eggs
- 15 egg yolks
- 1 loaf 24-inch stale French bread or 1 loaf fresh French bread, that has been sliced and dried in a 275 degree oven.
White Chocolate Ganache
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces white chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 1 ounce dark chocolate, shaved or grated
- FOR THE PUDDING: Combine the whipping cream, milk and sugar in a large heavy saucepot and mix well.
- Bring to a boil then remove from the heat.
- Add the white chocolate pieces and let stand for several minutes or until the chocolate melts; stir until smooth.
- Whisk the eggs and egg yolks in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk in the warm chocolate mixture in a slow steady stream; scrape the saucepot with a rubber spatula to remove all the chocolate.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the French bread into thin slices and place in a 9" x 12" metal baking pan.
- Pour half the chocolate mixture over the bread and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Press the bread into the chocolate mixture with a rubber spatula or fingers to saturate well.
- Pour the remaining chocolate mixture over the bread and stir to mix well.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the foil and bake for 30 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- Cool to room temperature and chill, covered, in the refrigerator for 6 to 8 hours or until set.
- FOR THE GANACHE: Bring the whipping cream to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Remove from the heat and add the white chocolate pieces.
- Let stand until the chocolate melts and stir until smooth.
- Loosen the pudding from the sides of the pan with a knife and invert onto a work surface.
- Cut into squares, then cut the squares diagonally into triangles.
- Place the triangles on a baking sheet and reheat at 275 degrees for 15 minutes or until warm.
- To serve, place the pudding triangles on serving plates and top with the ganache.
- Garnish with dark chocolate shavings.