Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Buckhead Diner, Atlanta, Georgia.
- 1 prepared pie pastry, single crust (for deep dish pie pie)
- 1 plump vanilla bean, slit lengthwise
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 ounces imported white chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 4 medium ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons banana liqueur
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white Creme de Cacao
- cocoa powder
- Fit pie pastry into a 9 ½ inch deep dish pie pan; sculpt edge into an upstanding ridge; place in the freezer for 15 minutes, then fully prebake and let cool.
- In a nonstick saucepan, combine the vanilla bean and milk; place over medium heat and bring to a near boil; immediately remove form the heat and set aside.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a big bowl until pale thick, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the cornstarch.
- Remove the vanilla bean from the hot milk, saving it for another use, and whisk the milk into the cornstarch mixture.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan; place over medium heat and cook, whisking nonstop, until it comes to a boil, 5-7 minutes.
- Continue to boil, whisking nonstop, for about 1 minute, then remove from the heat.
- Whisk in the butter, one piece at a time, and the white chocolate, adding it in several stages.
- Scrape the filling back into the bowl and press a piece of plastic wrap on top, leaving no gaps or air pockets, to prevent a skin from forming.
- Transfer the pie filling to a wire rack and let cool thoroughly; refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Shortly before serving, using a chilled medium-size bowl and chilled beaters, beat the cream with an electric mixer until it is stiff but not grainy; refrigerate.
- Slice the bananas into a bowl; sprinkle with the lemon juice.
- Fold the bananas, banana liqueur, and creme de cacao into the cold filling.
- Fold in the whipped cream; spoon the filling into the cooked pie shell, then garnish with a dusting of cocoa.
- Serve at once or refrigerate for up to 1 hour before serving.
- **Recommended to serve the same day it is made.