Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Just .... OH .... MY .... WORD. Did we really have to go here?? Recipe is from the cooking blog Meemo's Kitchen.
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounces white chocolate, melted
- 1 loaf banana bread, cubed in about 1-inch cubes
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease and 8-inch square cake pan.
- Place the milk and 1/2 cup of the cream in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Be careful not to let it boil over. Place the eggs, egg yolks, 1/2 cup of the sugar, salt, and vanilla in a bowl and gradually add the milk mixture, whisking all the while. Add the melted chocolate and mix until it is fully incorporated.
- Place the bread cubes in the prepared pan and pour the custard over it, pressing down to dunk them. Let rest at least 15 minutes and up to an hour for the bread to absorb the custard.
- Pour the remaining 1/2 cup cream over the top and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and transfer to the oven. Bake until the pudding is firm and a knife inserted comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with caramel sauce, a dollop of sweetened whip cream or ice cream, and sliced bananas.
OMG.....was this ever sinful!!! I served this with a little whipping cream to my guests and we all loved it! But...it is really rich, so a small piece is all that is needed. I think this could easily feet 6 - 10 people My changes were....I used 3/4 of the banana bread in a 8 - 9-1/2" corningware dish and used about 10 oz of white chocolate. I used Shelley's Banana Banana Bread for the banana bread (using frozen bananas) and had made it up 2 days ahead of time...so all I had to do was make up the custard, which took a grand total of 15 minutes. Once the ingredients are broken down...this is a very easy recipe to do. Kudos on the posting...I would definately do this one again!!