Recipe by Annacia
A very tasty recipe from my archives. It's a giant cookie that's topped with coarsely crushed peppermint candies and melted white chocolate, then broken into irregular pieces. *Note: The recipe asks for a baking time of 30 mins. I find that far to long, it's going to burn at that time. Start checking it at 12 mins. I'm happy with the results at 15-16 mins.
Top Review by Lalaloula
I made this recipe (cut in half) for my daddy, who came for a visit today. He said he really enjoyed the taste of it with the white chocolate and peppermint going great together. A very fancy looking treat, which is sure to draw attention to it. However he also found it a little bit too greasy and said that the chocolate topping didnt stick that well to the cookie making it hard to eat. While working with the dough I also found that it was a little too sticky even though I already decreased the butter slightly. I added in a bit more flour and that made it workable. All in all I would make this recipe again decreasing the butter and also the amount of chocolate going on top. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this special recipe with us, Annacia! Made and reviewed for Newest Zaar Tag March 2010.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted, cooled slightly
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 ounces high-quality white chocolate, chopped into 1/3-inch pieces, divided (such as Lindt or Perugina)
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely crushed red-and-white-striped hard peppermint candy, divided (about 6 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. Whisk melted butter, both sugars, and vanilla in large bowl until smooth.
- Stir in flour mixture until just blended. Stir in 1 cup chopped white chocolate and 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy.
- Transfer dough to prepared sheet. Press dough into 14x8-inch rectangle, about 3/8 inch thick. Bake cookie until top is firm and dark golden, about 30 minutes.
- Cool on sheet 10 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool completely.
- Stir remaining white chocolate in top of double boiler over barely simmering water until melted and smooth.
- Using small spoon, drizzle about half of melted chocolate in thin lines over cooled cookie and sprinkle remaining crushed peppermint candies over chocolate. Drizzle remaining white chocolate over top.
- Let stand until white chocolate sets, about 1 hour. Break cookie into irregular 2- to 3-inch pieces. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.)Makes about 24 pieces.