Prep 50 mins
Cook 20 mins
For all lovers of white chocolate and mangoes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond essence
- 2 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1 large ripe mango
- 1⁄2 cup toasted sliced almonds, to decorate
- 150 g white chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 5 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 5 egg yolks
- Using a hand held electric mixer at low speed, beat the flour, coconut, butter, sugar, egg yolks and almond essence in a deep bowl until the mixture forms a soft dough.
- Lightly grease a 23 cm tart tin with a removable base.
- Press the pastry onto the bottom and sides of tin and prick with a fork.
- Chill the base for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line the pastry case with non-stick baking paper and fill with baking beans.
- Bake blind for 10 minutes.
- Remove beans and bake for a further 5-7 minutes until golden.
- Prepare the custard filling.
- In a small saucepan over a low heat, melt the white chocolate with the cream, stirring until smooth. Set aside.
- Combine the cornflour, plain flour and sugar in a medium sauce pan.
- Stir in the milk gradually and place over medium heat and cook stirring constantly, until the mixture has thickened.
- Beat the egg yolks in a small bowl.
- Slowly add about 1 cup hot milk mixture stirring constantly.
- Return the yolk mixture to the rest of the sauce in the pan and stirring constantly.
- Bring the custard filling to a gentle boil and stir constantly until thickened.
- Stir in white chocolate until well blended.
- Cool to room temperature.
- To prevent a skin forming cover with plastic wrap.
- Beat whipping cream until soft speaks form.
- Fold approximately 1/2 cup of the whipped cream into the white chocolate custard then spoon into pastry.
- Arrange slices of mango on top of the custard.
- Spoon remaining flavoured cream into a large piping bag fitted with a star tip.
- Pipe the cream in a scroll pattern in parallel rows on top of the tart, keeping the rows about 1 cm apart.
- Carefully sprinkle the toasted flaked almonds between the rows.
- Serve tart chilled.