Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Chatelaine magazine. To be iced on Fluffy Coconut Cake, would also be good on a carrot cake. Frosting makes 6 cups to fill and frost a 4 layer cake.
- 4 white chocolate baking squares (about 4 ounces)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream
- coconut, toasted (optional)
- Coarsely chop chocolate. Place in a small bowl and microwave on medium, stirring halfway through, until almost melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and stir until smooth. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer,beat cream cheese with butter, lime juice and vanilla until smooth. Then beat in chocolate. Gradually beat in icing sugar until evenly mixed.
- In a medium-size bowl, using an electric mixer, whip cream until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted. Stir one-third of whipped cream into cream cheese mixture until evenly mixed, then gently fold in remaining cream, just until no streaks remain. It's best to fill and frost cake right away. Sprinkle toasted coconut over cake. Don't refrigerate icing before using.
Absolutely delicious! I used this icing on a key lime cake and it was the perfect sweetness for a tart cake! Rave reviews from family!
OH YUM! I used this recipe to ice Pumpkin Cupcakes Pumpkin Cupcakes. It was positively scrumptious, and actually not overly sweet! In fact, I think it's less sweet than a regular run-of-the-mill cream cheese frosting. I used 1 TBSP bottled lime juice in lieu of the fresh squeezed stuff. Also I whipped my cream in advance so it didn't feel like so much work when I went to make the icing. I love that it makes a lot too, so maybe I can refrigerate it and then make a small cake later this week too. THANKS!