Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 4 hrs
An unbaked cheesecake which I usually shy away from. From "Great Tastes of Manitoba" which puts out a publication to coincide with a local TV station that features a dish and a suggested beverage. For this dessert, they suggest Henriques and Henriques 10 yr. old Old Bual Maderira (Portugal). I haven't tried this yet, but will very shortly as I have a dinner party coming up. I'm nuts about nuts, so will probably add about 3/4 cup chopped pecans to the crust. And I'll substitute some of the orange juice with a bit of orange liqueur for a bit of extra punch. WHY CAN'T WE EVER JUST STICK TO THE RECIPE??!! Prep time is a guess. I have put in 4 hours for passive time, as I think this will need to set.
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice, divided
- 6 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 1 (7 g) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 lb cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 375.
- To make crust, melt butter, stir in crumbs and sugar. Press on bottom and partway up the sides of a 9 inch springform pan. Bake 8-10 minutes.
- To make filling, place cranberries, 1/4 cup each of the sugar and orange juice in a saucepan. Cover, bring to a boil, stir frequently and crush cranberries. Reduce heat; simmer and stir frequently until a thick puree forms. Cool.
- Melt chocolate in a saucepan or double boiler; set aside.
- Sprinkle gelatin over remaining orange juice; let stand for 5 minute or until softened. Heat for 1 min or until gelatin dissolves; set aside. Beat cream cheese in a bowl until smooth. Beat in remaining sugar, orange peel, vanilla, chocolate and gelatin; set aside.
- Beat whipping cream until soft peaks form. Stir 1/4 of the whipped cream into cream cheese mixture. Fold in remaining whipped cream.
- Spoon half of the cream mixture onto crust. Spoon 1/2 of the cranberry puree onto cream cheese. Top with remaining cream cheese and puree.
- Using a knife, swirl cranberries through cheesecake.
- Refrigerate until set.