1 hr 15 mins
I don't often eat sweets, but this cake called to me. How can you go wrong with white chocolate and almonds? This is from Woman's Day magazine, one of Nigella's recipes. Haven't made it yet and prep time is a guesstimate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces white chocolate baking squares, chopped
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 6 large eggs, yolks and whites separated,whites into a large bowl and brought to room temp
- 6 ounces slivered almonds, without skin,finely ground in blender (1 1/2 C, don't over-process or they'll turn to paste!)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1Heat oven to 350F and grease bottom of a 9 inch springform pan, line with wax paper.
- 2Melt chocolate in microwave on medium power or a bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
- 3(white chocolate won't melt to a smoothness of dark. once it's lost its shape it's melted enough) Beat butter in a large bowl on high speed till creamy.
- 4Beat in 3 T sugar then add yolks, one at a time.
- 5Scrape in cooled chocolate and beat till well blended.
- 6Add almonds and extract and beat till combined.
- 7Using clean beaters, beat egg whites on high speed till peaks begin to form.
- 8Slowly add 3 T sugar and beat till white and gloosy and firm.
- 9Add a big dollop to cake batter and stir well then fold in remaining whites.
- 10Pour into prepared pan and bake 45 to 50 minutes or till batter starts to pull away from sides of pan.
- 11Check after 30 minutes since you probably need to cover it loosely with foil to stop it burning.
- 12Some bronzing on top is okay.
- 13When done, a cake tester won't come out exactly clean, but no cooking batter should be clinging to it.
- 14Cool in pan on wire rack 20 minutes.
- 15Cake sinks while cooling.
- 16Run a knife around edge, invert cake on rack, remove paper, invert again and cool completely.
- 17Can serve with chopped mango and raspberries.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Chocolate-Almond Cake
Serving Size: 1 (71 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 303.8
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 121.4 mg
- Sodium 49.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 15.3 g
- Protein 7.0 g