Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I don't often eat sweets, but this cake called to me. How can you go wrong with white chocolate and almonds? This is from Woman's Day magazine, one of Nigella's recipes. Haven't made it yet and prep time is a guesstimate.
- 6 ounces white chocolate baking squares, chopped
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 6 large eggs, yolks and whites separated,whites into a large bowl and brought to room temp
- 6 ounces slivered almonds, without skin,finely ground in blender (1 1/2 C, don't over-process or they'll turn to paste!)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Heat oven to 350F and grease bottom of a 9 inch springform pan, line with wax paper.
- Melt chocolate in microwave on medium power or a bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
- (white chocolate won't melt to a smoothness of dark. once it's lost its shape it's melted enough) Beat butter in a large bowl on high speed till creamy.
- Beat in 3 T sugar then add yolks, one at a time.
- Scrape in cooled chocolate and beat till well blended.
- Add almonds and extract and beat till combined.
- Using clean beaters, beat egg whites on high speed till peaks begin to form.
- Slowly add 3 T sugar and beat till white and gloosy and firm.
- Add a big dollop to cake batter and stir well then fold in remaining whites.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 45 to 50 minutes or till batter starts to pull away from sides of pan.
- Check after 30 minutes since you probably need to cover it loosely with foil to stop it burning.
- Some bronzing on top is okay.
- When done, a cake tester won't come out exactly clean, but no cooking batter should be clinging to it.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 20 minutes.
- Cake sinks while cooling.
- Run a knife around edge, invert cake on rack, remove paper, invert again and cool completely.
- Can serve with chopped mango and raspberries.
A very good cake, sort of like the sunken chocolate cakes that are popular. A bit too sweet - I'd cut the sugar back to 4 tblsps - the white chocolate seems to provide rather a lot.