Recipe by RochelleS
I prefer making this flavorful soup with homemade stock, if time permits, but canned chicken broth is fine.
Top Review by Bobbin
This chili was very tasty. My kids loved it and so did our guests. I served it with a Mexican-style cornbread (#45703) and a sweet cornbread (#79857). I grilled the chicken the night before to save time. I used 6 cups canned chicken broth and added 2 cups of water. I omitted the chicken bouillon. Other than that I made it as written. My husband said it may have needed a little salt, but I thought it was perfect. I will make this again!
- 3 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb navy beans, rinsed and drained according to directions on package
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (7 ounce) can green chilies
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook chicken, save broth, if making homemade broth.
- Add rinsed and drained navy beans and bouillon to chicken broth.
- Simmer 2-4 hours.
- Saute onions in butter. Add garlic, chilies, spices, and chicken. Add to bean mixture.
- Simmer 1 hour.
- Stir in sour cream and cheese. Enjoy!
- *Note: To make in crock pot. Add all ingredients except sour cream and cheese into 6 quart crock pot or larger. Cook on low for 8-12 hours. Stir in sour cream and cheese. Enjoy!
- **Note: To make in oven. Add all ingredients except sour cream and cheese into a large roaster. Bake at 250 degrees for 6-8 hours. Stir in sour cream and cheese. Enjoy!