Prep 1 hr
Cook 12 hrs
I prefer making this flavorful soup with homemade stock, if time permits, but canned chicken broth is fine.
- 3 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb navy beans, rinsed and drained according to directions on package
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (7 ounce) can green chilies
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook chicken, save broth, if making homemade broth.
- Add rinsed and drained navy beans and bouillon to chicken broth.
- Simmer 2-4 hours.
- Saute onions in butter. Add garlic, chilies, spices, and chicken. Add to bean mixture.
- Simmer 1 hour.
- Stir in sour cream and cheese. Enjoy!
- *Note: To make in crock pot. Add all ingredients except sour cream and cheese into 6 quart crock pot or larger. Cook on low for 8-12 hours. Stir in sour cream and cheese. Enjoy!
- **Note: To make in oven. Add all ingredients except sour cream and cheese into a large roaster. Bake at 250 degrees for 6-8 hours. Stir in sour cream and cheese. Enjoy!
This chili was very tasty. My kids loved it and so did our guests. I served it with a Mexican-style cornbread (#45703) and a sweet cornbread (#79857). I grilled the chicken the night before to save time. I used 6 cups canned chicken broth and added 2 cups of water. I omitted the chicken bouillon. Other than that I made it as written. My husband said it may have needed a little salt, but I thought it was perfect. I will make this again!
We loved it. I didn't have homemade stock so I used canned chicken broth. I ended up taking half of the broth out and substituting it with water and it ended up still being a little too salty. Next time I'll just use homemade stalk or use a few cups chicken broth and the rest water. Other than that, it was absolutely delicious.