Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Another great crock pot recipe for a cold winter's evening after a long day at work. Add more red pepper sauce for an extra kick.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs skinless chicken pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 heads garlic, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper sauce (or to taste)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 15 -16 ounces canned or dried great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup white corn
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Remove fat from chicken.
- Mix dried beans (if using canned beans, add them at the end of cook time) onion, garlic, broth, cumin, oregano, green chilies, salt and pepper sauce in a 4 to 6 quart crock pot or slow cooker.
- Add chicken.
- Cover and cook on high if using dried beans or low if using canned beans for 4 to 5 hours or until juice of the chicken is no longer pink when thickest pieces are cut.
- Remove chicken.
- Using 2 forks, remove cooked chicken from bones and shred.
- Return shredded chicken to the crock pot.
- If using canned beans, add them, corn, lime juice and cilantro to the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 15 to 20 minutes or until additions are hot.
This was really great! I made this on the stove top in my dutch oven and ended up having to add about an extra cup of broth as well as doubled the spices -- just be aware if you don't use the crock pot.
Awesome!!! Super easy and amazing! Thanks a ton for sharing this gem! The only thing I did in addition to the recipe was add about 5 shakes of Tobasco verde.
Loved it! Absolutely delicious and so easy!