This recipe comes from The Blue Owl Restaurant and Bakery in historic Kimmswick, MO. My daughter named it "Football Soup" because we always make it when we have a crowd over watching the game after church! Incredibly easy, freezes beautifully, and my bean hating husband even loves it. I add an extra can of green chilies for more flavor. You can make it without the chicken for a cheaper meatless meal, and you can make it without the monterey jack cheese for a low-fat, less thickened soup (but the cheese adds a lot of flavor!)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped mild green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans, undrained
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups canned chicken broth
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken, to taste
- 3 cups grated monterey jack cheese (about 12 oz.)
- Heat oil in large pot over medium high heat.
- Add onions and saute until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, then chilies, cumin, oregano, and cayenne and saute 2 minutes.
- Add undrained beans and stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and add chicken and cheese to chili and stir until cheese melts.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and ladle into bowls.
- FOR FREEZING: Pour soup into a rigid container (or freezer bag), label and freeze. To reheat, thaw in refridgerator overnight or simply put frozen soup into a large pot and gently heat, with lid on and stirring often, till heated through.