1/5 Photos of White Chili (Football Soup)
Tornado Ali's Note:
This recipe comes from The Blue Owl Restaurant and Bakery in historic Kimmswick, MO. My daughter named it "Football Soup" because we always make it when we have a crowd over watching the game after church! Incredibly easy, freezes beautifully, and my bean hating husband even loves it. I add an extra can of green chilies for more flavor. You can make it without the chicken for a cheaper meatless meal, and you can make it without the monterey jack cheese for a low-fat, less thickened soup (but the cheese adds a lot of flavor!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped mild green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans, undrained
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups canned chicken broth
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken, to taste
- 3 cups grated monterey jack cheese (about 12 oz.)
- 1Heat oil in large pot over medium high heat.
- 2Add onions and saute until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- 3Stir in garlic, then chilies, cumin, oregano, and cayenne and saute 2 minutes.
- 4Add undrained beans and stock and bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat and add chicken and cheese to chili and stir until cheese melts.
- 6Season to taste with salt and pepper and ladle into bowls.
- 7FOR FREEZING: Pour soup into a rigid container (or freezer bag), label and freeze. To reheat, thaw in refridgerator overnight or simply put frozen soup into a large pot and gently heat, with lid on and stirring often, till heated through.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Chili (Football Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 355.4
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 63.7 mg
- Sodium 584.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 29.5 g