1/5 Photos of White Chili (Football Soup)
Tornado Ali's Note:
This recipe comes from The Blue Owl Restaurant and Bakery in historic Kimmswick, MO. My daughter named it "Football Soup" because we always make it when we have a crowd over watching the game after church! Incredibly easy, freezes beautifully, and my bean hating husband even loves it. I add an extra can of green chilies for more flavor. You can make it without the chicken for a cheaper meatless meal, and you can make it without the monterey jack cheese for a low-fat, less thickened soup (but the cheese adds a lot of flavor!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped mild green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans, undrained
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups canned chicken broth
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken, to taste
- 3 cups grated monterey jack cheese (about 12 oz.)
- 1Heat oil in large pot over medium high heat.
- 2Add onions and saute until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- 3Stir in garlic, then chilies, cumin, oregano, and cayenne and saute 2 minutes.
- 4Add undrained beans and stock and bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat and add chicken and cheese to chili and stir until cheese melts.
- 6Season to taste with salt and pepper and ladle into bowls.
- 7FOR FREEZING: Pour soup into a rigid container (or freezer bag), label and freeze. To reheat, thaw in refridgerator overnight or simply put frozen soup into a large pot and gently heat, with lid on and stirring often, till heated through.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Chili (Football Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 355.4
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 63.7 mg
- Sodium 584.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 29.5 g