Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a quick, easy and delicous meal that the kid's will enjoy.
- 3 boneless pork chops or 3 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh cilantro or 1⁄8 cup dried cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, I like more
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin, I like more
- 1⁄4 ground black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package cornbread mix
- 4 tablespoons shredded monterey jack cheese or 4 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat oil; add onion and celery, saute, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Add pork or chicken and cook 3 to 4 minutes until browned.
- Transfer mixture to a 4 quart casserole.
- Stir in the broth, beans, chiles, cilantro, chili powder, ground cumin and pepper.
- Bake covered, at 350* oven for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Prepare the corn bread mix according to package directions.
- Remove the chili from the oven.
- Spoon corn bread batter over the chili.
- Return to the oven.
- Bake 25 minutes longer or until corn bread is golden brown.
- To serve, sprinkle with cheese.
- Can easily be doubled.