Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 2 lbs great northern beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced onions
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon ground oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 1⁄2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 boneless chicken
- 2 cans green chilies, chopped
- Prepare beans or buy ready (I buy the ones ready in a jar).
- In 5 quart dutch oven saute onion in oil.
- Combine seasonings, add 1/2 seasoning mixture to dutch oven.
- Saute 1 minute.
- Add beans, broth and garlic.
- bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 2 hours.
- Coat chicken with remaining seasoning mixture.
- bake 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until juice runs clear; add to beans, stir in chilies.
- Simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Stir in montery jack cheese before serving.
- Garnish with sour cream tomatoes, cilantro, scallions or jack cheese.