Recipe by Rosemary York
Peter's Grandmothers recipe
Top Review by beckas
I made quite a few changes to this recipe but the results were delicious so I'm rating this recipe five stars. I reduced the amount of chicken broth to 4 cups, added about 1/2 cup frozen corn, and 3 diced corn tortillas. Instead of stirring in the cheese, I garnished the soup with some shredded cheese and diced avocado. Really delicious. I will make this again.
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped mild green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (16 ounce) cansgreat dry northern white beans
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups canned broth
- 4 cups cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- 3 cups grated monterey jack cheese (about 12 oz)
- salt and pepper
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In heavy pot, saute onion in oil until translucent (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in garlic, chilis, cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper.
- Saute two more minutes.
- Add undrained beans and chicken stock and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat: add chicken and cheese, stirring until the cheese melts.