Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Peter's Grandmothers recipe
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped mild green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (16 ounce) cansgreat dry northern white beans
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups canned broth
- 4 cups cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- 3 cups grated monterey jack cheese (about 12 oz)
- salt and pepper
- sour cream
- In heavy pot, saute onion in oil until translucent (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in garlic, chilis, cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper.
- Saute two more minutes.
- Add undrained beans and chicken stock and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat: add chicken and cheese, stirring until the cheese melts.
I made quite a few changes to this recipe but the results were delicious so I'm rating this recipe five stars. I reduced the amount of chicken broth to 4 cups, added about 1/2 cup frozen corn, and 3 diced corn tortillas. Instead of stirring in the cheese, I garnished the soup with some shredded cheese and diced avocado. Really delicious. I will make this again.
Made this for Fall Pick-A-Chef 2011 and I am glad that I picked this recipe. I cut it down for DH, his dad and I and added some extra beans (for thickness), corn and topped it with shredded cheese, some green onions and a few diced up tortillas (fried). One to keep in my files and bring out on another day when we go down to the beach and it's cool and foggy...Thank you for posting the recipe.
Turned out great. I did not add all the cheese. To me it was not needed. I did add 2 extra cans of beans. Thanks for posting.