Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
a family recipie can be cooked on the stove or in the crock pot
- 59.16 ml olive oil
- 6 chicken breasts
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 2 (566.99 g) can chicken broth
- 4 (1360.77 g) can navy beans
- 226.79 g green chilies, canned
- 9.85 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml oregano
- 4.92 ml cilantro (although much better with fresh)
- 2.46 ml red hot pepper
- 9.85 ml salt
- monterey jack cheese
- Club crackers
- Stove Top:.
- saute first 4 until onion is clear and chicken is done.
- heat together next 7 in a seperate pot and simmer 20 min.
- mix in chicken and simmer 10 more minute.
- Crock Pot:.
- combine in crock pot and cook on low 7-9 hours high 3-4 hrs.
This has really good flavour as I used fresh cilantro. I did this on the stove top and used different sorts of chicken pieces but think it would be better with chicken breast cut into cubes. I used my own homemade chicken stock and left out the canned green chillies as I didn't have any. I used navy beans cooked from dry, and cayenne for the red hot pepper in about half the amount (we don't like spicy). I can imagine this would be excellent with the cheese.
Delicious and perfect for a cool fall evening. The recipe was reduced by half. The chicken and onion were cooked in a small amount of oil until done, the other ingredients added to the crock-pot and dinner was ready and waiting when I got home from work. This made a wonderful meal served with a tossed salad. Made for *My 3 Chefs*