Recipe by MsPia
From www.whymilk.com. I make this chili for a farmer's market every year and it sells great. I love it!
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Wasn't sure how the hominy would work in a chili, but it was just fine! Made this when we had a couple for lunch & it raved about no end! Definitely a hit! I pretty much followed the recipe & did use 2 large chicken breasts (about 7-9 ounces each)! You have a great keeper of a recipe here! Thanks for sharing it! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
- 6 white corn tortillas
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 340.19 g boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 113.39 g green chilies, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 396.89 g can reduced-sodium chicken broth, defatted
- 473.18 ml low-fat milk
- 2 (850.48 g) can white hominy, drained and rinsed
- 6 lime wedges, for garnish
- 118.29 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a deep saute pan or Dutch oven, heat 1/2 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add bell peppers and onion; season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Add chopped green chilies, garlic, chili powder, cumin, and oregano; cook stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth and milk to the pan and bring to a simmer, stirring. Stir in hominy, toasted tortilla strips and browned chicken. Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes.
- To serve, stir in 1/4 cup of the cilantro into chili. Taste and adjust seasonings. Ladle the chili into bowls and garnish with remaining chopped cilantro, lime wedges if desired. Served immediately with baked tortilla chips if desired.
- Optional: Sprinkle on 1/4 cup light shredded cheese for an extra dairy serving.