Recipe by Paulette
I first had this chili at a BBQ place in TN and it was called Tennessee chili. I liked it so well that I searched for one in my many recipe books, finding this one. The only ingredient that has been added is the chili powder.
Top Review by Tallie in Pacific NW
Grrrrreat recipe! I bailed on the tomatoes-EW! Used rotisserie chicken from my grocer's deli, added a can of kernled white and yellow corn and chicken broth & cornstarch to thicken w/Tillamook Pepperjack Cheese shredded cheese to top-yummmy! ;)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced or 1 (3 lb) roasted chicken, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) canscoarsely chopped tomatoes
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 (11 ounce) cans cannellini or 2 (11 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- monterey jack cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot cook diced chicken breasts in olive oil until done, remove from pan& set aside.
- Add onion& garlic, saute until tender.
- Stir in next 7 ingredients.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add chicken& beans; cook until heated.
- Add lime juice and pepper.
- Serve into bowls and top with cheese (serve with salsa on top of cheese, if desired).
- TIP: Cook this a day ahead and refrigerate to let the seasonings blend.