Prep 25 mins
Cook 4 hrs
For a buffet, serve with chopped tomatoes, parsley, ripe olives, guacamole, scallions, sour cream, crumbled tortilla chips, or salsa cruda.
- 1 lb great northern bean
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken breasts
- 3 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- Combine beans, chicken broth, garlic, and 1/2 of onions in large soup kettle.
- Bring to boil and simmer until beans are tender- 3 hours or more.
- Add more broth if necessary.
- Saute remaining onions in oil until tender- add chilies and seasonings, mix thoroughly.
- Add to bean mixture.
- Add chicken and continue to simmer 1 hour.
- Serve topped with grated cheese.