Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
White Chicken Enchiladas
- 10 soft taco-size flour tortillas
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan.
- Mix chicken and 1 cup cheese. Roll up in tortillas and place in pan.
- In a sauce pan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add broth and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
- Stir in sour cream and chilies. Do not bring to boil, you don't want curdled sour cream.
- Pour over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 22 min and then under high broil for 3 min to brown the cheese.
- *side note - the sauce doesn't freeze very well, so if you're making them ahead of time. Just make and freeze the Enchiladas. Make the sauce the day of.
If you want more flavor like a restraunt add a bunch of ground cumin to the chicken and mix it well..huge difference! Yum
Family loves this recipe. Even my picky eaters, who are two and four years old. I see some other reviews have called the recipe bland, but it's great for little people whose system can't handle too much spice. To perk it up a little I usually cook and shred the chicken with some regular taco seasoning. Then to fill it out a bit, add some cooked rice to the chicken (1.5 to 2 cups). And of course I finish it off with as much cheese as I can pack in.
Very good and easy I added chopped onions in with the chicken and cheese gave it more flavor definitely will make again and again :-)