Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Made this up tonight using what I had on hand - my husband said it was really good. I didn't measure the spices - so use your judgment and begin with less...and gradually add to accommodate your preferences.
- 1 lb fresh ground chicken
- 28 ounces great northern beans, rinsed and drained (2 cans)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1⁄2 onion, I used red onion as I had some already chopped
- 1 1⁄2 medium green peppers, diced
- 2 small red peppers, diced
- 5 -6 diced plum tomatoes
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili seasoning mix (and then some!)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chipolte seasoning
- couple shakes Tabasco jalapeno sauce (5 - 6)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro, chopped small (large stalks removed)
- 1. Saute onions and chicken in oil in a stock pot (add salt and pepper to chicken).
- 2. After the chicken is cooked through, drain extra oil.
- 3. Add the carrots, peppers, celery to the pot and sweat for 10 - 20 minutes until the veggies are slightly softened. Stir occasionally.
- 4. Add tomatoes, chicken stock, green chilis, cilantro and spices.
- 5. Simmer for a while - maybe an hour while the juices and spices meld.
- 6. Garnish as you like - more cilantro / sour cream / cheese / corn chips etc.