Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mother gave me this recipe. It makes a great lunch or dinner. Full of flavor and simple to make. I haven't had anything better even in a restaurant. I usually make a double batch and freeze leftovers or share it with my neighbors.
- 680.38 g boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 3 (1190.67 g) can chicken broth
- 3 (1360.77 g) can great northern beans, with liquid
- 473.18 ml chopped white onions
- 29.58 ml minced garlic, in a jars
- 113.39 g canchopped green chilies, with liquid
- 9.85 ml ground cumin
- 9.85 ml oregano leaves
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- hot sauce (to taste)
- In a large pot, saute onions about 5 minutes in olive oil.
- Add garlic, chilies, broth and beans. Stir.
- Add chicken, stir in remaining spices and hot sauce.
- Heat to a boil and simmer 1 hour before serving.
- Can be made on the stove or in a crockpot.
I made this tonight and we loved it! The only change I made was to omit the cayenne and used some Saracha (sp) sauce. We topped ours with broken up tortilla chips and it was delicious. Can't wait to have more for lunch tomorrow :-D Thanks for posting!
We thought this was very good. It did seem more like a soup than a chili though. I sort of cut the recipe in half, but I didn't measure exactly. I used 3 chicken breasts (which were all together over 1 lb), 1 cup onion, whole can of chili's, 2 cans of beans and only 1 can of broth, and it was still very soupy, but the flavor was really good. I did use the cayenne but forgot to add the hot sauce to our individual servings. The amount of cayenne was perfect- we love super spicy food, but I wanted my 1 year old to be able to eat it too. It was not too spicy for him- he really liked it, and took leftovers to daycare today for lunch. This will definately go on my list of do-agains, I would just lessen the broth amount. Thanks for posting the recipe.
This is a great white chicken chili recipe that everyone in the family enjoyed, and it's not always an easy task to please everyone. I went a bit light on the hot sauce (because I have kids who cannot tolerate "heat"), but other than that I stuck to the recipe measurements as written. I will make this again, and it's so delicious that I can't see that I will make any adjustments. Made for Zaar Cookbook tag game.