My mother gave me this recipe. It makes a great lunch or dinner. Full of flavor and simple to make. I haven't had anything better even in a restaurant. I usually make a double batch and freeze leftovers or share it with my neighbors.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 3 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans, with liquid
- 2 cups chopped white onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic, in a jars
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, with liquid
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- hot sauce (to taste)
- In a large pot, saute onions about 5 minutes in olive oil.
- Add garlic, chilies, broth and beans. Stir.
- Add chicken, stir in remaining spices and hot sauce.
- Heat to a boil and simmer 1 hour before serving.
- Can be made on the stove or in a crockpot.