Recipe by Bay Laurel
This classic recipe has an extra spicy twist to it. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did. It tastes even better the next day.
Top Review by Sue G.
My husband tried this at a church dinner so I needed to find a recipe to fix it for him. We tried this one and all the way thru he kept telling me it's not right, until he took his 1st bite. Now he loves it and said it needs to go into our regular rotation. Thanks for giving us a great meal!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves, cut into one inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained (save 1/2 cup draining liquid)
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 teaspoon chipotle pepper, seeded and minced
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- shredded monterey jack cheese
- chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Warm oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onion; cook 4 minutes, stirring. Push onion mixture to one side; add chicken to skillet; sprinkle mixture with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook 5 minutes, stirring.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add 2 cans of the beans and draining liquid, 1 ¼ cups broth, and chipotle; bring to a simmer. Cook 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining 1 can beans and ¾ cup broth in bowl of food processor. Puree until smooth. Add to soup in pot, along with half-and-half. Simmer a few minutes, stirring, until warmed through and flavors incorporated. Serve hot; garnish with cheese and cilantro.