This classic recipe has an extra spicy twist to it. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did. It tastes even better the next day.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves, cut into one inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained (save 1/2 cup draining liquid)
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 teaspoon chipotle pepper, seeded and minced
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- shredded monterey jack cheese
- chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Warm oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onion; cook 4 minutes, stirring. Push onion mixture to one side; add chicken to skillet; sprinkle mixture with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook 5 minutes, stirring.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add 2 cans of the beans and draining liquid, 1 ¼ cups broth, and chipotle; bring to a simmer. Cook 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining 1 can beans and ¾ cup broth in bowl of food processor. Puree until smooth. Add to soup in pot, along with half-and-half. Simmer a few minutes, stirring, until warmed through and flavors incorporated. Serve hot; garnish with cheese and cilantro.